Crispy Artichokes with Garlic Aioli
Once peeled, artichokes can oxidize and quickly turn brown. To prevent this, add them to a cold water bath with ice cubes and lemon juice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 large artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 medium lemons cut into wedges
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, lemon juice, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper together and refrigerate, covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the artichoke hearts and half the lemon wedges in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with ice cubes and cold water. In another large bowl, combine the flour, garlic salt, and remaining pepper.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a wok to 375°F.
- Remove artichokes from water and carefully dry with paper towels. Toss the artichokes in the flour mixture and gently shake off excess.
- When oil is ready, working in batches, fry the artichokes until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Season with remaining salt and cayenne and serve hot with garlic aioli and remaining lemon wedges.