Crispy Beer-Battered Fried Shrimp
You can do everything in advance but fry the shrimp. Beer batter is delicious, just be sure to use buckwheat beer. Don’t be afraid of the name—buckwheat beer is actually wheat-free.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup corn flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup flat buckwheat beer
- ½ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1¼ lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup golden rum
- 2 Tbsp. wheat-free soy sauce
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- Make the batter in advance by mixing together the first seven ingredients (flour through paprika). Let stand for 1 hour.
- Marinate the cleaned shrimp in rum and soy sauce for 20 minutes, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Bring the oil to 375°F in a large frying pan or deep pot. Add the egg white to the batter.
- Dip the shrimp in the batter a few times to coat. In small batches, gently lower each shrimp into the oil. Fry for about 4 minutes, or until well browned. Drain on paper towels and serve.