This lovely dish can be served as an appetizer with marinara sauce or it can make a wonderful addition to any salad.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 2 lbs. squid, cleaned and cut into small rings
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup wheat-free bread crumbs
- Preheat oil in a very large, deep-frying pan or wok. Oil must be very hot so let sit for a few minutes over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, rinse squid with water and dry with paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and oregano. Dip the calamari rings into the batter, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Deep-fry in small batches for 1–2 minutes, or until very light brown. Even if you think it may not be brown enough, stop cooking after 1–2 minutes or the calamari will be overcooked. Lay cooked calamari on paper towels to absorb any liquid.