Crispy Fried Okra
Okra, fried with a crispy cornmeal coating, is a Southern favorite. If you’ve never tried okra, this is the recipe to try.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. fresh okra
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Several drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Wash okra; cut off tips and stem ends. Cut okra pods crosswise into 1" slices.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl with hot sauce.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large food storage bag or shallow bowl.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer.
- Add okra to beaten eggs; stir to coat well. Drop several pieces of okra into cornmeal mixture and shake gently to coat well. Repeat with remaining okra.
- Fry okra in hot oil in batches until browned, about 4–6 minutes for each batch. Turn as needed to brown all sides. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.