Crispy Fried Oysters
These are classic Southern-style fried oysters with that delicious crispy cornmeal coating. Serve hot with lemon wedges and tartar or cocktail sauce. These also make a great sandwich filling.
Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 24 large raw shucked oysters
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Beat eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Add oysters and stir to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, Cajun seasoning, and pepper in a large food storage bag. Working with a few at a time, let excess egg drip off of the oysters and put into the bag. Shake gently to coat oysters thoroughly.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer.
- Fry oysters in batches for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain.