Crispy Potato Balls
You can hide surprises inside these treats, such as olives, halved cherry tomatoes, or cubes of cheese.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiled, riced potatoes
- 2 cups oil
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, arrowroot starch, salt, parsley, and potatoes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into potato mixture.
- Form the mixture into balls about the size of large marbles. Roll in remaining Parmesan cheese. If balls are too soft, place on a cookie sheet in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Bring oil to 375°F in a large pot or frying pan. Carefully add the balls and fry until well browned.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.