Crispy Rice Balls
Fry these little balls right before serving. They’re crisp and savory, with a tender center. For variety, try molding the rice around a tiny square of cheese before frying. These make delicious bite-sized snacks.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup crushed puffed-rice cereal
- 1 cup sesame oil
- In medium saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until onion begins to brown, about 8–9 minutes. Stir in garlic for 1 minute, then stir into hot cooked rice. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Add egg, salt, pepper, horseradish, and thyme. Form mixture into 1" balls; roll in crushed cereal to coat.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry rice balls, turning carefully, until golden brown and crisp, about 4–5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.