Crispy Tofu Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce
A low fat, vegan recipe for crispy tofu strips that kicks up your game day menu a notch.
Serves: 2Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 ounces Simple Truth Organic™ Extra Firm Tofu
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Organic™ Soy Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Granulated Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, more if needed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- CHILI SAUCE
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar, more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tofu between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Slice into strips.
- In a small, shallow bowl combine flour, Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper, sugar and water until well combined to make a thick batter. Add some more water if needed. In another shallow bowl, place the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip tofu strip in batter to coat all sides. Tap to drop excess batter and transfer to breadcrumb bowl. Coat the strip with breadcrumbs and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat for all strips; bake 30 to 35 minutes or longer until crisp.
- In medium saucepan, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, garlic powder, Asian chili sauce and cornstarch. Heat over medium heat and bring to about a boil. Carefully taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Cool slightly and serve with the tofu strips.