Any bread can be used in this recipe, though a hearty bread, such as levain or sourdough, makes croutons that hold up better in salads.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 loaf bread, crust removed, cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put bread cubes in a large bowl with garlic.
- Pour butter over bread cubes and toss them to distribute the butter and garlic evenly.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on bread cubes; toss to distribute seasoning.
- Bake seasoned bread cubes on an ungreased cookie sheet 25 minutes until toasted. If cubes brown unevenly, stir on the sheet halfway through cooking time. Cool and store in an airtight container.