Crumb-Topped Mango Muffins
Let these warm tropical muffins remind you that paradise is just a state of mind. The soft vanilla-lemon crumb is dotted with juicy chunks of mango, and the tops explode out of the tin with the sweet crunch of macadamia nut crumbs.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1½ Tbsp. plus 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. sodium-free baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin lightly with oil or line with disposable liners. Set aside.
- First make the crumb topping. Combine the brown sugar, chopped nuts, and 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour in a small mixing bowl. Cut the butter in with your fingertips, processing until it has the consistency of wet sand. Set aside.
- To make the batter, measure the remaining all-purpose flour, white whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the egg white, milk, oil, vanilla, and grated lemon zest and mix just until moist. Gently fold in the mango, stirring just until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about ¾ full, then top with the crumb mixture, dividing evenly between the cups (about 2 tablespoons each). Place the pan on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven and gently move muffins to a wire rack to cool fully.