Cuban Black Bean Soup
Yummy and hearty, a big bowl of this soup is perfect solo for lunch, or served in smaller cups as part of a tapas-style meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra, defrosted
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken broth, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add black beans and cumin and simmer 45 minutes.
- Purée ⅓ of the soup in a blender and return it to the pot. Add corn and okra. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, salt, cayenne-pepper sauce, and cilantro.