Cucumber and Buttermilk Soup
To quickly seed the cucumber, cut it in half, lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups buttermilk
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 thin cucumber slices
- Peel the cucumbers and remove the heavily seeded core. Cut the flesh into slices. Chop the dill and juice the lemon.
- In a soup pot, warm the butter and whisk in the flour, cooking for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the buttermilk. Bring almost to a boil. Add the cucumber slices and dill, simmering for 15 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool and then purée it in a food processor. Stir in the lemon juice and the white pepper. Reheat gently but thoroughly. Top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and a slice of cucumber.