Cucumber, Carrot, and Avocado Sushi Rolls
Sushi rolls are good for snacks or travel. Optional ingredients to include are nuts, seeds, tempeh, marinated shiitakes, umeboshi paste, mustard, noodles, pickled ginger and cucumber, or sauerkraut. Season brown rice with diluted umeboshi vinegar or sweet brown rice vinegar.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, soaked overnight in 2 cups spring water
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, divided
- 2½ Tbsp. sweet brown rice vinegar
- 2 whole cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 6 sheets nori
- 2 whole avocados, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. wasabi paste
- Shoyu, to taste
- Add ⅛ teaspoon salt to rice and water. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer, covered, 45–50 minutes. Stir sweet brown rice vinegar into warm cooked rice. Allow rice to cool by spreading it out on sheet pan.
- Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon salt over cucumber to release water. Blanch carrots.
- Place one sheet of nori shiny side down on the bamboo mat. Dampen hands with water. Pat a thin layer of rice onto nori, about ¼" thick, leaving ¼" plain nori border around the four edges. Place cucumber, carrot, and avocado together at the near edge.
- Carefully and firmly roll up mat, dabbing the final edge of nori with a bit of water to seal. Place seam-side down. With a dampened bread knife, slice each roll into 6 segments. Clean off knife as you slice.
- Serve with wasabi and shoyu.