Cumin Eggplant Bowl with Cilantro-Lime Sauce
This one-bowl meal is filled with citrusy flavors, as well as earthy eggplant and cumin. Combined with rice and beans, it’s the perfect lunch or dinner.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup packed cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lime zest
- 1 Tbsp. chopped scallion greens
- 1 Tbsp. chopped almonds
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reserve.
- While eggplant cooks, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice, and sauté for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let steam for 15 minutes. Reserve.
- Process cilantro, lime zest, scallion greens, almonds, and remaining olive oil in a mini-food processor until smooth.
- Place the rice, eggplant, tomatoes, and black beans in a large bowl. Drizzle with cilantro lime sauce.