Cumin-Roasted Butternut Squash
Choose butternuts with a large cylindrical barrel, and small bulbous bottom, so you yield the most squash and fewest seeds. Since the squash is peeled for this dish, the longer barrel means easier preparation.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium butternut squash (2–3 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. snipped chives
- Cut the butternut in two, crosswise, just above the bulbous bottom. Place the cut side of the cylindrical barrel down on a cutting board, and peel it with a knife or potato peeler, removing all rind. Repeat with the bottom part, then cut bottom in half and remove seeds.
- Dice squash into 1" chunks. In a large mixing bowl, toss squash with cumin, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread into a single layer on a doubled baking sheet, and roast in a 375-degree oven for 40 minutes, turning after 25 minutes, until browned and tender. Serve sprinkled with chives.