Cumin-Scented Rice (Jeere Wale Chawal)
To reheat the rice, simply sprinkle some water on it, cover loosely, and heat for a few minutes in the microwave.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Table salt, to taste
- Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat the butter. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, salt, lemon juice, and rice; mix well.
- Add the water and stir for 1 minute. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat. Loosely cover the rice with a lid and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
- Cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Serve hot.