Curried Delicata Squash Bowl
This dish is nearly hands-off, and has a little kick of heat from curried seasonal vegetables.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large delicata squash
- 2 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil, divided
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. spicy curry paste
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Halve the delicata squash, and remove seeds. Cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While squash cooks, bring rice and 2 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 40 minutes, and turn heat off. Let steam for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, and onion, and season with remaining salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until vegetables are softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add in the curry paste, ginger, and garlic, stir for 1 minute. Pour in remaining broth and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with rice and top with curried vegetables, roasted delicata squash, and cilantro.