Curried Delicata Squash Bowl
This dish is nearly hands-off, and has a little kick of heat from curried seasonal vegetables.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large delicata squash
- 2 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil, divided
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. spicy curry paste
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Halve the delicata squash, and remove seeds. Cut into ½" pieces. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While squash cooks, bring rice and 2 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 40 minutes, and turn heat off. Let steam for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, and onion, and season with remaining salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until vegetables are softened, about 8–10 minutes. Add in the curry paste, ginger, and garlic, stir for 1 minute. Pour in remaining broth and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with rice and top with curried vegetables, roasted delicata squash, and cilantro.