Curried Lamb Kebabs
Zucchini, tomatoes, and fresh mushrooms would all be good choices to cook with the lamb. Thinly cut the vegetables and thread onto the skewers with the lamb, alternating between a meat and a vegetable.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 papaya
- 1¼ cups plain yogurt, divided
- 1½ lbs. lamb, cut into 1½" cubes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Peel the papaya and cut into thin slices. In a food processor, purée the papaya with 1 cup yogurt until smooth. Place the lamb cubes in a shallow 9" × 13" baking dish. Coat the lamb with the yogurt and papaya mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Smash, peel, and mince the garlic. In a blender or food processor, purée the minced garlic with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to form a paste.
- Preheat the grill.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic paste, cayenne pepper, coriander, ground cumin, and crushed cardamom, olive oil, and the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and ¼ cup yogurt. Remove the marinated lamb from the refrigerator and coat with the mixture.
- Thread the marinated lamb onto skewers. Grill on medium heat until the lamb reaches the desired level of doneness (about 10 minutes for medium rare). Serve immediately.