Serve these lentils with whole-wheat pita or naan bread. Yellow lentils may be substituted for the red lentils.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1½ Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1¼ cups red lentils
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a 3-quart Dutch oven. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is softened and the vegetables fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, water, coconut milk, lentils, and tomatoes.
- Bring the lentils to a simmer over high heat, cover, and bake until the lentils are very tender and resemble a thickened lentil soup, about 25–30 minutes. Stir in the cilantro just before serving.