Curried Potato Croquettes
Samosas are absolutely delicious, but making them the traditional way with a fried pastry crust is not only time prohibitive but unhealthy. Fortunately, this recipe gives you faster, guilt-free samosas. Here the potato filling is rolled in bread crumbs, then oven baked. The resulting croquettes have a ton of flavor and a crisp outer crust, but are very low in fat. The recipe yields 24 croquettes, enough to serve 12 people as an appetizer or 8 as a main course. Serve with chutney or ketchup.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ¾ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use 1 teaspoon olive oil to lightly oil two baking sheets and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium stockpot and add enough water to cover by 1–2". Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and boil 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, add nutritional yeast, cumin powder, curry powder, garlic powder, sugar, cumin seeds, oregano, coriander, cayenne, and ginger to a small mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Drain potatoes, then mash. Add seasoning mixture, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons oil, and cilantro and stir to combine.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- To form croquettes, scoop roughly 2 tablespoons potato mixture, roll into a ball, and flatten into a 2–3" patty. Press potato cake into bread crumbs, then gently flip to coat second side. Place breaded croquette on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients until you have 24 croquettes.
- Place the baking sheets on the middle rack in the oven and bake 12–15 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Gently flip, return to oven, and bake another 12–15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.