Curried Red Lentil Soup
Don’t let the jalapeño scare you away from this recipe—it gives just the right amount of kick without being too spicy.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ Tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh-chopped parsley
- Heat water in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add ginger, jalapeño, curry, cumin, turmeric, and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in dried parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer 45–60 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.