Curried Sweet Potato Latkes
Here's a flavorful twist on plain latkes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. ghee
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ¾ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. dried lemon peel, crushed
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. low-salt baking powder
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a baking sheet with butter-flavored nonstick baking spray.
- Heat ghee in a small nonstick slillet over medium-high heat. Add cayenne, cinnamon, curry powder, and cumin. Sauté the spices, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together sautéed spice mixture and remaining ingredients. Spoon the batter onto the prepared baking sheet in 8 equal-sized portions, flattening them slightly. Spray the tops of the pancakes with a light coating of nonstick baking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until brown on the bottom. Turn and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until evenly browned. Serve immediately, topped with yogurt and pomegranate seeds.