Curried Tofu Burgers
Vegans may want to use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, which contains no anchovies, and a liquid egg substitute instead of an egg. Feel free to substitute rice vinegar in place of white vinegar if you have it.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 oz. firm tofu
- 6 Tbsp. quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 8 English muffins
- Drain the tofu and crumble. Stir in the oats, onion, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, and curry powder. Add the egg and mix together with your hands to make sure the tofu is thoroughly mixed with the other ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Form the tofu mixture into balls approximately the size of large golf balls and flatten with the palm of your hand. Add the burgers to the frying pan, using a spatula to gently flatten them and push together any portions that are separating from the main burger. Cook the burgers for 4 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Heat the crushed tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar in a small saucepan. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Keep warm on low heat while toasting the muffins.
- Split the muffins in half and toast. Serve open-faced, with a portion of the tomato mixture spooned onto one muffin half and the burger on the other.