Makes: ¼ cupHands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: ¼ cup
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- ½ Tbsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp. whole cloves or ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ Tbsp. cardamom seeds
- ½ Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. dried red pepper flakes, or crushed red peppers
- ½ Tbsp. turmeric
- ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, mustard seeds, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, and red pepper flakes in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat. Stir the spices often to prevent them from burning. Toast for a couple of minutes, or until the spices smell fragrant.
- Add the toasted spices to a clean coffee grinder and grind into a fine powder. Add the turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon, and pulse the grinder a few times to combine them with the other spices. Use the spice blend immediately, or, if stored in a sealed glass jar, it can be kept in a cool, dry place for 1 month or indefinitely in the freezer.