Custard Pie with Coconut
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 unbaked pie shells (3 1⁄2 inches in diameter)
- 1 egg white
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Brush the bottom of the unbaked pie shells with the unbeaten egg white. Chill while you make the filling.
- In a food processor, pulse the coconut until finely ground. Set aside.
- Break the whole eggs into a mixing bowl and stir lightly. Do not beat. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt, then pour in the milk and cream. Stir in the coconut. Pour the mixture into the shells.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the filling is set. Let cool on a rack completely before serving.