You can use any type of marmalade, jam, or preserved fruit for the filling of these cookies.
Makes: 20Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp. orange-blossom water
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly with wooden spoon to avoid clumping. Lower heat to medium-low and slowly add milk, making sure to stir continuously as mixture thickens and starts clumping.
- When all milk has been added, remove from heat and add sugar, egg, and baking powder; mix well until dough is uniformly smooth.
- Prepare filling by mixing marmalade, almonds, orange-blossom water, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using rolling pin, spread pieces of dough on floured surface to uniform thickness of a banana peel.
- Place small amount of filling mixture in center of each disc. Fold each disc in half over filling into a half-moon shape; pinch together edges.
- Place cookies on buttered pan and bake 20 minutes. Let stand 30 minutes. Sprinkle cookies with confectioners’ sugar before serving.