Dahl with Rice
This hearty dish will leave your kitchen nice and fragrant. Red lentils are meant to completely break down when cooked, creating a porridge-like consistency.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 small serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Place lentils in a large pot and cover them with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils, but reserve the cooking water.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to dance around in the pan. Add ginger, garlic, onions, and serrano peppers. Sauté until the onions and garlic are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add coriander and cumin and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup reserved lentil cooking water to skillet, bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Add cooked lentils, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Simmer another 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro leaves. Serve with rice.