Dairy-Free Bolognese with Linguine
In this recipe, ground beef, sautéed vegetables, tomatoes, herbs, and wine come together in a thick, rich sauce. Substitute your choice of pasta for the linguine if desired. Serve with a nice Chianti and a big green salad for a classic Italian meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 packages (9 oz.) fresh linguine
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add celery, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring, 3 minutes until they begin to sweat. Add beef and sauté until browned and cooked through, 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Cook until mixture begins to bubble, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and spoon over spaghetti. Serve immediately.