Dairy-Free Oatmeal Bread
This is a delicious and nutritious bread that makes a great healthy snack or sandwich.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 cup rolled oats, divided
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup lactose-free margarine
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1 package dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a large baking sheet with sides and sprinkle lightly with 1 tablespoon oats. Set aside.
- Using a heavy-bottomed large pan, combine molasses, margarine, salt, and water and bring to a boil. Pour boiling mixture over oats. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add to the oat mixture when cool.
- Combine flours and add to oat mixture. Turn onto a floured board and knead vigorously 6–8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough well. Divide into two equal pieces.
- Shape bread into long, pointed ovals. Place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining oats over the tops of the loaves. Cover loosely with waxed paper and set aside to let rise 45 minutes, just short of doubling.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The oatmeal on top will be crispy and browned.