Dairy-Free Potato Leek Soup
The white and pale green sections of the leeks are the most tender and flavorful parts on this onion-like veggie.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. lactose-free margarine
- 4 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups soy milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Melt margarine over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Add the leek and sauté until soft, not allowing to brown, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide soup in half. Place in blender, adding 3⁄4 cup of soy milk. Purée until smooth. Empty soup into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining soup, adding 1⁄2 cup soy milk.
- Place puréed soup back in soup pot. If necessary, thin the soup by adding more soy milk, a little at a time, until desired consistency. Reheat soup over low heat, stirring occasionally. Take care not to boil soup. Season with black pepper and serve hot.