Dairy-Free Tomato Basil Soup
Fresh basil adds a different flavor than dried basil to dishes, and the fresh variety is more complementary to this soup.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup unsweetened soymilk
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil In a large sauté pan over medium heat; sauté onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, then remove the bay leaf. Process the soup in a blender—carefully, in batches—or using an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the slow cooker; add soymilk and heat on low for an additional 30 minutes. Stir in basil right before serving.