It’s easy to make homemade yogurt with a good yogurt maker. Use organic whole milk so you can rest assured that it doesn’t have hormones, pesticides, or sweeteners. Add the sweetener of your choice after the yogurt is made.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 9 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 quart milk
- 1 tsp. yogurt starter
- 2 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Warm milk on the stove, but do not boil it. Remove it from the stove before it boils.
- With a liquid thermometer, check the temperature. When the milk is between 98°F–116°F, add the yogurt starter culture and stir until all the powder is dissolved.
- Place the milk and culture in a yogurt maker and let it culture for 9–15 hours, until the mixture thickens to a pudding-like texture.
- Pour the yogurt into serving bowls. Place the peaches on top and sprinkle with nutmeg. (The unused yogurt can be refrigerated in a glass or plastic container.)