Tykmælk, “thick milk,” is a natural yogurt that is much sweeter and less tangy than many other yogurts. Top it with a crunchy mixture of rye breadcrumbs and brown sugar for a delicious breakfast or snack. Two tablespoons of plain, all-natural yogurt can be substituted for the buttermilk.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 16 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 Tbsp. buttermilk
- ½ cup rye breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- In a large pot, heat the milk to the scalding point (185°F–190°F). Turn off the heat and cool to 112°F.
- When it reaches 112°F, stir in the buttermilk. Transfer to a sanitized bowl (rinsed with boiling water), cover, and allow to sit overnight in a warm place (like an insulated cooler), to curdle.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill for 8 hours before serving.
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs and brown sugar.
- Top individual bowls of tykmælk with a sprinkling of the breadcrumb mixture before serving.