Dark Chocolate Bourbon Gelato (Gelato di cioccolato scuro borbone)
The dark, silky taste of chocolate and the smoky warmth of bourbon come together in this perfect after-dinner treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 10 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup good-quality bourbon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, cocoa powder, espresso powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk vigorously over medium heat. Once at a high simmer, remove from heat and add chocolate. Whisk until smooth, then cover and allow flavors to meld for about 30 minutes.
- Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened. Pour ½ cup of the heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream.
- Stir remaining cream, bourbon, and vanilla extract into gelato mixture. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.