Dark Chocolate Mousse
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup water or strong brewed coffee
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp. brandy, rum, kirsch, or Kahlúa
- In the top pan of a double boiler, combine the chocolate, sugar, and water. Place over (not touching) boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove the double boiler from the heat but leave the top in place. Beat in the yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remove the top pan and let cool. When cool, stir in the brandy.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into custard cups. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.