Dark Chocolate–Dipped Macaroons
A favorite for chocolate lovers, dark chocolate is both tasty and has a low glycemic value.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups water
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until stiff in a medium bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine agave nectar, vanilla, and almond extract. Using a folding motion, combine coconut and agave mixture with egg whites.
- Place tablespoon-sized portions of coconut batter onto a prepared baking sheet. Using fingers, mold macaroons into a round shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Add water to the bottom of a double boiler. Bring water to a simmer and turn heat down to low. Add chocolate to the top pan and stir with a wooden spoon until melted.
- Dip the top of the macaroons into the chocolate. Place dipped macaroons onto a tray covered with parchment paper.
- Place tray of macaroons in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow chocolate to harden.