Dark Dinner Rolls
Before serving, place these rolls in a 350°F oven for 5–6 minutes to warm and refresh.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups milk
- 2 packages (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups medium rye flour
- 2½–3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until warm. Pour ½ cup into a large mixer bowl. Combine with yeast; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining milk, honey, salt, canola oil, egg, and egg whites and beat well. Add whole-wheat flour and rye flour and beat well. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5–7 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into fourths, then divide each fourth into 6 pieces. Roll pieces between your hands to form a smooth ball. Place on cookie sheets about 3" apart. Let rise for 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bake rolls for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Remove to wire racks and brush with melted butter. Let cool.