Serves: 20Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3½ cups mixed candied diced fruits and peels for fruitcake
- 1¼ cups dark raisins
- 1¼ cups golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup grape juice
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line 2 loaf pans (8½" × 4½" × 2½") with parchment paper, allowing ½" to extend above the sides.
- In a large bowl, mix together the fruits and peels, raisins, and nuts. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices into another bowl. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the flour mixture over the fruit mixture, mixing well. In yet another bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the grape juice, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour over the fruits and mix well. Pour the batter into the pans, filling each one three-fourths full. Do not flatten.
- Place a pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Place the loaf pans on the center shelf and bake for 3 to 3½ hours, or until lightly browned. Cool on racks.