Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" × 13" baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the dates and the boiling water and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, stir the shortening to soften. Gradually add the sugar, creaming thoroughly. Add the vanilla and egg and beat well. In another bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking soda, and salt twice. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the date mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the nuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool on a rack.