Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Have ready an 8-cup greased muffin tin.
- Cut the orange into pieces. Remove and discard the seeds and place the pieces in a blender. Process until the rind is finely ground. Add the orange juice, dates, egg, and butter and whirl briefly.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Pour the orange mixture over the flour mixture and stir lightly. Spoon into the muffin-tin cups, filling each 2⁄3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on rack.