Date squares are full of old-fashioned goodness. You can add variety to this recipe by substituting dried apricots, figs, apples, or peaches for the dates.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3½ cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1½ cups butter, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13" × 9" baking pan.
- Combine oats, flour, and brown sugar. Add butter; combine by hand until crumbly. Spread half in pan.
- Combine granulated sugar, water, and dates in a saucepan. Bring to boil; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Spread date mixture over crumb mixture in pan. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake 25 minutes. Cool completely.