Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream
Smooth and delicious, this custard-style chocolate ice cream is made with tempered egg yolks for a wonderful richness. You’ll never want to go back to store-bought after one bite of this!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 oz. chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 package (4 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Combine the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine. Do not allow to boil; simmer until sugar and cocoa are dissolved.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl.
- Drizzle half of the cocoa mixture into the eggs to temper, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add in chopped chocolate and cream. Stir until chocolate is melted. Chill in refrigerator, stirring occasionally, until completely cooled.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese and vanilla until well combined. Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.