Deep-Fried Fish Nuggets
For best results, use a firm fish such as halibut or red snapper, and cut the fish into cubes the same size so that all the pieces cook evenly.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. fresh or frozen fish fillets, thawed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups panko
- 2 fresh lemons
- Add the oil to a large, heavy saucepan, wok, electric fondue pot, or deep-fat fryer. Heat the oil to 350°F. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for deep-frying with the specific appliance.
- Rinse the fish fillets and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the fillets into 1 1⁄2-to-2-inch cubes. Beat the egg yolks.
- Place the fish cubes, beaten egg yolks, and the panko near the stove. Lay a paper towel on a plate and keep near the stove for draining the fish cubes.
- Dip each fish cube into the beaten egg, and then coat with the panko. Deep-fry the fish according to instructions, making sure the fish is completely submerged. Drain the deep-fried fish on the paper towels.
- Cut each lemon into wedges, and serve as garnish with the fish.