For best results, don’t begin heating the oil for deep-frying until you’ve applied the batter to the mushrooms. This gives the batter time to dry.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 20 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth and trim the stems.
- In a medium bowl, sift baking powder into the flour. Add sugar, salt, and vegetable oil, stirring. Add water and stir into a smooth batter. Add a bit more water if the batter is too dry, or flour if it is too wet. Use a wooden spoon to test the batter—it should drop slowly and coat the back of the spoon.
- Lightly dust mushrooms with cornstarch and coat with the batter, using your fingers.
- Add oil to a preheated wok and heat to 350°F. When oil is ready, add about 5 mushrooms at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool and serve.