Delicate Almond Cookies
Delicately flavored with a hint of almond, these cookies make a satisfying light afternoon snack or finale to a dim sum brunch.
Makes: 35Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 35 whole, blanched almonds
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add eggs and almond extract and beat until well blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring.
- Knead dough into a roll or log. If you find 1 long roll too difficult to work with, split the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Cut dough into 30 to 35 pieces. (If desired, lightly score the dough before cutting to get an idea of the correct size.) Roll each piece into a ball and place on a lightly greased cookie tray, approximately 2 inches apart. Place an almond in the center of each cookie and press down lightly.
- Brush each cookie lightly with beaten egg before baking. Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and store in a sealed container.