Serve spread on toasted flatbread or as a vegetable dip.
Makes: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. garam masala
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- Add the oil and butter to the pressure cooker and bring to temperature over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, chili, and red pepper and sauté for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and dry mustard; sauté for an additional minute. Stir in the lentils. Pour in the water.
- Lock on the lid. Bring the pressure cooker to high pressure; maintain for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Transfer the cooked lentil mixture to a bowl; stir until cooled. Puree using an immersion blender until mostly smooth.
- Add the yogurt; whisk until smooth.