Died-and-Went-to-Heaven Chocolate Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. buttermilk or 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla and beat for 2 minutes until well incorporated. Stir in the hot coffee until completely incorporated. (The batter will be thin.) Pour into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack and let cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat together the confectioners’ sugar, remaining vanilla, and 1 tablespoon buttermilk make a thick but pourable frosting. Drizzle the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.