This recipe allows you to enjoy fondue and keep down the fat and calories at the same time.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 oz. of any reduced-fat hard cheese
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 parsley sprigs, chopped
- ⅓ cup cranberry juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 Tbsp. margarine
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 package breadsticks
- Dice the hard cheese. In a metal bowl, combine the skim milk, cottage cheese, basil, parsley, and cranberry juice.
- Smash the garlic clove, peel, and cut in half. Rub garlic around the inside of a medium saucepan; discard. Add the margarine and melt on low heat. Stir in the flour.
- Add the cottage cheese mixture and the hard cheese. Stir slowly over low heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture thickens. Stir in the black pepper and cayenne pepper. Whisk to remove any lumps in the flour if necessary.
- Transfer the mixture to a fondue pot and set on the burner. Serve with the breadsticks for dipping.