This recipe requires that the steaks be cooked directly on, not over, the coals. Use wood charcoal, not briquettes. This rustic steak goes great with casual sides like French fries or onion rings.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 prime rib eye steaks, about 2 lbs. each if the bone is in
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Start the charcoal. (This cannot be done on gas or briquettes.)
- Let the steaks reach room temperature, then dry thoroughly with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat directly on the coals and roast for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove steaks from the coals and put on a platter. Brush off extra ash with paper towels. They will be very brown. Let the steaks rest, and trim off excess fat (if you wish). Then slice and serve.