Dominican Rice and Pigeon Peas
The Dominican Republic plays host to a very flavorful cuisine, and rice is served with most meals.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 small white onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grained white rice
- 1 can (15 oz.) pigeon peas
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives
- Place the scallions, garlic, and oregano in a blender with 1 cup of the water. Purée until smooth.
- Combine the scallion purée, onion, rice, peas, and the remaining water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a very low simmer. Cover and cook for 18 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, covered, then stir in the butter, salt, and pepper, and add the olives.